BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE VIOLIN
- Gill, Dominic (Ed) Cheniston K.Roland (contb) The Book Of The Violin (1984) Phaidon Oxford **
- La Villa, Gianlucca Violin Companion (1998) Tipogrfia Sociale Saletti Ferrara Italy **
- Wechsberg, Joseph The Violin (1972) Viking Press New York **
- Brook, Donald Violinists of Today (1948) Rockliff London **
- Erlich,A Celebrated Violinists Past & Present (1897) The Strad Office London **
- Grew, Sydney Makers of Music (1926) G.T.Foulis & Co Ltd London **
- Haddon. J,Cuthbert Modern Violinists (1914) T.N.Foulis London **
- Lahee, Henry C. Famous Violinists (1902) G.P.Putman's Boston **
- Schwarz, Boris Great Masters of the Violin (1984) Robert Hale London **
- Racster, Olga Chats on Violins (N/A) T Werner Laurie London **
- Stowell, Robin Violin (N/A) Strad London
- Straeten, E. van der The Romance of the Fiddle (1911) Rebman London **
- Straeten, E. van der The History of the Violin -Vols I & II (1933) Cassel & Co London **
- Chiesa, Dilworth, Hargrave, Pollens, Rosengard, Wen Giuseppe Guarneri 'del Gesu' (N/A) Strad London
- Fetis, F.J. Antonio Stradivarius "The Celebrated Violin-Maker" (1864) Robert Cocks & Co London **
- Hill,W.Henry, Artthur.F, Alfred E, Antonio Stradivari "His Life & Work" (1963) Dover Press New York **
- Pollens, Stewart The Violin Forms of Antonio Stradivari (N/A) Strad London
- Senn, Prof Dr Walter. Roy, Karl Jakob Stainer 1617 - 1683 (N/A) Strad London
- Wibberley, Leonard Guarneri "Violin-maker of Genius" (1974) Macdonald and Janes London**
- Gruetter, Andreas Bowmaker's Guide This site is maintained by Andreas Gruetter, a bowmaker from the Netherlands whose aim is delivering quality to his world-wide clientele. His website is really a short education manual about bows. This site contains information on the differences between violin, viola, cello and bass bows, types of wood used in bowmaking, strength distribution in bows, and response. The manual comprises of 10 chapters that are very well written and illustrated. It might help to print out the information.
- Retford, William C. Bows and Bowmankers (N/A) Strad London
- Heron-Allen, Edward Violin - Making as it was, and is (1885) Ward Lock London **
- Bachmann, Alberto Encyclopedia Of The Violin (1925) D Appleton & Co New York **
- Creighton, James Discopaedia Of The Violin - 1889 - 1971 (1974) University of Toronto Press Canada **
- Jaeger,Emmanuel. Laurent,Frederic and Molkhou, Jean-Michel Encyclopedia of the Violin - (Multimedia Edition) Probably the best bargain to be found with so much information about the violin. The CD benefits from both expertise and planning and should be in every violinists CD drawer. I strongly recommend purchasing a copy today. Jean-Michel Molkhou is well known for his writings on the violin and his exhaustive discographies published from time to time by the Strad Magazine. Emmanuel Jaeger is a violinist and conductor and Frederic Laurent, a journalist and audio visual producer.
- Polonaskl, E. Value of Old Violins (1912) Reeves, W.M. London **
- Stainer, C. A Dictionary of Violin-Makers (1896) Novello & Co London **
- Winn, Edith L. How to Study Rode (1912) Carl Fisher New York **
- Swalin, Benjamin F. The Violin Concerto "A Study in German Romanticism" (1941) Capel Hill North Carolina USA**
- Veinus, Abraham The Concerto (1948) Cassel London **
- Montagnana Books There can be no doubt that this is the definitive violin book site. Even if you cannot afford any of the books at the moment it is still the best site for information on books, programmes,signatures and violin ephemera.
- Information on Obtaining Authentication and Appraisal of Violins If you think the violin you have just discovered in the attic, or the one you have inherited, is valuable, Then this page will help you decide what you do next.
- Computer violin identification program This page offers help to identify a limited number of makers.
** INDICATES THAT THIS TITLE IS IN THE LIBRARY OF
CHENISTON K ROLAND
New titles added 20th July 2005